COMING SOON: Coupons&Coffee - new and improved!

Thursday, April 16, 2009

FREE Magazine Subscriptions

When I first got into bargain blogging and started reading about getting free magazines, I thought there had to be some sort of catch. I kept reading all these blog posts about all the great subscriptions people were getting for FREE. Conde Nast Traveler, Metropolitan Home, Parents, Business Week, Shape, and so on. 

There more I thought about it, the more it made sense. This goes back to a basic media buying/selling theory I learned in grad school. Publishers offer free subscriptions to sweeten the deal for advertisers. For example, a company would find Magazine X much more attractive for advertising if there were 500,000 subscribers (even if 50,000 were free subscriptions) than if there were only 450,000 subscribers.

 It doesn’t matter if you’re not paying for the magazine -  you’re still seeing the ads. The majority of a magazine’s revenue is from advertisers and not from subscribers or newsstand purchases. Publishers aren’t losing anything by giving free subscriptions. 

 So enough of my rambling. (I get really excited when I start talking about advertising/public relations/marketing.) Here are some subscriptions currently available for FREE:

 I’m up to three free subscriptions, and I can verify that they DO come with NO bills or strings attached. The ones from Rewards Gold seem to start the fastest. I received my first issue of Conde Nast Traveler within 3 weeks of signing up for it!

No comments: